Charitable Deductions


Dear Taxman – Every week I place cash in the collection plate at church. I recently heard I cannot deduct it since I have no banking record. Is that true?


Dear Reader – As of August 16, 2006 a receipt from the donee organization or a bank record such as a cancelled check is required for all deductible charitable contributions.

“Ask The Taxman” originally appeared as a column in The Brunswick Citizen. All responses are written by Jim George, CPA. If you have a question for a CPA, contact us!

If this helped you, it may help someone else, also. Please share it: